Welcome to my world!

Welcome to my world!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Show 'n' Tell: Singapore's Duxton Hotel, "Where Chic Ambiance and History Come Together"


I admit that I have a love affair with Singapore's historic shophouses. Throughout my teenage years in Connecticut and my adult years I've been an advocate of preserving historic streetscapes, neighborhoods and individual distinctive buildings. 

So, you can image my delight when I found the Duxton Hotel in Singapore's Chinatown via Hotels.com. I was looking for a special place that would take me back to an earlier time before big-box chain hotels dominated the accommodation scene. 

I wandered around the interior of the Duxton and the surrounding neighborhood, thinking to myself what an engaging setting this would have been for an Agatha Christie 'whodunit' mystery crime novel. The neighorhood's nooks and crannies lend themselves to such an enriching story idea. 

After my two night stay I was asked by Hotels.com to furnish a review. I was more than happy to do so!

(Here's a touch of whimsy in the front lobby)




"I stayed at the Duxton in Singapore's Chinatown for two days before flying back to the USA. I wanted an experience that took me back to a bygone era. This gem of a hotel and its staff delivered a classical ambiance that had a whimsical tinge of chic about it."



"Everyone from the front desk personnel to the maids were gracious and kind. Rooms are classically immaculate. I felt comfortable and taken back to an earlier, genteel time."







"I come from a family that has owned and operated bed-and-breakfast inns in North America. For over ten years I've called Hawaii my home, a place where hospitality is second-to-none. Quite frankly, I felt at home here. I hated to leave. Will I return? Most definitely!"

I'd add that the location of the Duxton Hotel makes it ideal for walking to nearby trendy pubs and restaurants. Maxwell Food Centre was just a block or two away, as was Chinatown Food Street. 

My room faced the back to the hotel, so I had little if any exposure to street noise. The air conditioning in my room was excellent. The elevator is quite small, but then again if fit in with the overall atmosphere and historical ambiance that characterizes the Duxton Hotel. 

The queen-sized bed enveloped me in perfect comfort; I slept so well! 

One of the biggest and most important elements of a boutique hotel is the staff. They were responsive, professional and kind. The housekeepers always smiled and sent a "Good morning, Sir!" greeting my way. 







No comments:

Post a Comment